Monday, December 7, 2009

Ya ever have someone...

Who wasn't supportive of your choice to pump?

I've got one! I've got one!

and it's not who you'd think...

it's...

MY MOM!

The other night when we were at my son's hockey league's pasta dinner fundraiser, I whipped out my pump and was bolusing for the meal, and she said this:

"I don't know why you like that thing. It seems like such a hassle. I just don't get it."

She went on to say that she didn't understand how I could have this thing hooked to me all day and all night and do what I needed to do.

I tried to explain to her that it's really not an issue. You'd never know I had it on, and it makes my glucose control a total breeze. It's my external pancreas. I just have to tell it what to do sometimes!

Personally, I don't think she understands the sheer joy of pumping-no 5-6 shots a day for me, no worrying if I have the right kind of insulin, or even doing what I did the first week I was on insulin-grabbing the wrong kind and shooting myself full of humalog instead of lantus. YIKES. That was one heck of a night. Not one I'd like to repeat.

Do I like all of the choices she's made? No. Not at all, but do I support her? Totally. I just don't understand why she has to make these comments and be a total piece of work while I'm trying to get it all together.

It boils down to this-if you can't say anything nice and supportive, don't say anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment