Monday, December 7, 2009

Hi. I'm Laura. I've got an insuiln pump...

It all started when I had a Mirena IUD removed in the operating room. Only I could have this whole debacle happen-the sucker malfunctioned. My Ob/GYN, who actually caught my diabetes in the first place via a fluke, noticed the war zone from the 5 -6 shots a day on my tummy. At the post op appointment, she asked me if I'd ever thought of getting a pump.

No, never had. Not until she mentioned it.

She demanded I have a chat with my endocrinologist, and I, being the well behaved (ok, sorta) person I am, said OK.

Even though this may seem kinda wrong, I haven't seen a doctor at my endocrine office. I've seen nurse practictioners and PA's as well as the CDE's. I figure if I'm improving, and they see no need to kick me over to the doc himself, then I'm all set.

So, when I went in to see the PA, Tom, we were going over everything and he was loving on my numbers...that's when I dropped the bomb. I told him I was being a good girl (he laughed) and told him about my other doc's request to have me ask about a pump. He thought for a few minutes and tinked with the computer that they keep all of our records on...and said "Sure! You can have one! I'm easy, but I'm not cheap."

This started my pump journey. I was in the one CDE's office later that afternoon, talking pumps and playing with the fake, but freaky belly. I debated the minimed, omnipod and ping.

Honestly, I thought the omnipod looked like a leech. Seriously. A leech. I liked the ping, but didn't think it had a large enough insulin resivoir,because when I get sick, I end up on steroids and I need more insulin than meets the eye. So, Minimed paradigm 722 it is!

I filled out the paperwork, and then waited...and waited...and after the 72 hours that they legally have to make a choice, the insurance decided to ask for more information! WHAT?
So, I faxed them 2 months worth of glucose logs and pushed, and pushed and fought them to make a decision. Normally, I wouldn't care, but I was running low on insulin in my pens, because I was told it wouldn't be that long to wait to get the pump.

I got my purple lifesaver the day before Thanksgiving, and went live with it that day! I was really thrilled to get it attached to me and go from there.

This is my pump diary. I'll be talking pump and more pump here. I have this space so I can say these things without fear of retribution as well as the "ickies" of the world mucking up my personal blog.

If you want to know more about me...come on over to My 3 Ring Circus of A Life and see all things NOT pump related.

No comments:

Post a Comment